iPhone;395072 Wrote:
> And just what is that going to do? The digital section in the Duet is
> powered off an internal switching power supply that is feed by the
> external wall wart. Changing the external supply to battery DC versus
> regulated DC is not going to clean anything up when there are internal
> switching supplies!
>
> The only solution even remotely worth thinking about is to disable and
> bypass the internal switchers and feed each voltage need from an
> external power supply with separate regulated feeds of the proper
> voltages. I took the time to do this using HP regulated power supplies
> for each required voltage. There was no overwhelming noticeable
> difference. Definitely not worth the time, effort, or bother and did
> not bring the Duet anywhere near the Transporter!
>
> Additional to note beside the DAC chip being so much more superior in
> the Transporter, the supporting circuits in the Transporter are
> superior and the layout used gets so much more out of what is
> available. No amount of modifying is going to get a Duet even close to
> a Transporter (whole sections would have to be replaced and that's no
> longer modifying).
>
> Again, if one wants a Transporter, one needs to buy a Transporter. I do
> like the way the Duet and Classic sound with a high end DAC, but by the
> time you get to the level of sound that the TP has, one has already
> spend much more money then what a TP costs (and still can't do 24/96
> files native so again why bother?)! Just buy a Transporter.

I totally agree with all of this with the minor caveat that an SB3 +
really good DAC can sound just as good as a TP. The cost will be at
least the same. Anyway, the DAC is hardly the defining point of any
system. Speakers are much... MUCH more important. Fiddling with the PSU
of a duet receiver (or SB2/3) with the aim of improving audio quality is
completely and utterly pointless, for the reasons that iPhone has
stated.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)