The reason I'm doing this is to identify where real differences do/don't
exist. In particular, I'm interested in resolving issues around
firmware/sc versions that allegedly alter the sound. By creating a set
of reference recordings for each generation of SC/firmware I can easily
worse (that's for the brain to decide) - just different.

Every time this crops up we keep hitting the same "bit-perfect" brick
wall. By testing the DAC output we can see if anything is really
changing the audio (whether the change matters or not and if it is
better/worse are different debates). Right now I just want to know if
there IS a change.

By the way, for those folks who claim to be able to hear detail well
below the noise floor, there are some test files you can download from
the ADM site that you can use to prove it. Can you hear the full
marching band hidden in the noise floor? :) Be honest!

However, a spin-off benefit is that the same methodology/tools can be
applied to cables, software settings, mains filters - anything
actually.

Let's put it this way, if putting $200 feet under my SB made no
MEASURABLE difference then I'm not going to put them there...

A consequence of this is that I may well end up changing my setup.
However, it will all be on the basis of listening not just blindly
following the software.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)