Sean,
I tried again. Pressing the headphones in didn't seem to change the
bass extension too much because of the design.

Again, I felt the PX-100s have "more" bass from the SB3's RCAs than the
headphone jack. I think the bass extension is the same with both, it's
just that RCAs have a distinctly warmer sound. As I said, the pre-out
RCAs from the Krell are much like the SB3 RCAs i.e. also warmer than
the SB3's headphone jack. I can't fault the SB3 in terms of driving the
PX-100s since the Krell's pre is bound to have enough juice to drive the
PX-100s (?) and it sounds very similar.

I've been trying deep-bass music. The organ on Sorrow from Pink Floyd's
Pulse (I was there and I can assure you my jeans were a-flapping at
Earls Court Arena!) and other tracks with good bass. The warmer RCA
sound suited almost everything including Pulse, Dire Straights, Sneaker
Pimps (Spin Spin Sugar - great warbling sub-bass throughout),
Evanescence you name it.

Interestingly, I preferred the presentation on the headphone jacks when
playing some Moby (Disco Lies) - it was too boomy on the RCAs and nice
and lean on the headphone jack.

Also tried some -20db test tones to check LF output. If I set the
volume at bearably loud for a 500Hz warble, I can just about hear the
25Hz warble tone at the same volume. (If I pump it nearer to max volume
at 20Hz I can detect something but it may be just harmonics since I'm
not sure 20Hz is audible exactly. I didn't hang around to listen more
just in case I hurt myself!) This goes for either output - the phones
are producing LF. Have you tried the RCAs with PX-100s yourself yet?
Many thanks,
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.
http://www.last.fm/listen/user/darrenyeats

SB3 + Inguz -> Krell KAV-300i (pre bypass) -> PMC AB-1
Dell laptop / Rio Karma -> JVC UX-C30 mini system / Sennheiser PX-100