Wombat;401257 Wrote:
> Im wondering about these 24/96 studio masters at Linn also. People tell
> there are better sounding 16/44.1 out there of different labels, not
> worth these 24/96 downloads.
> One thing that comes to my mind. I see on most Linn offers the dsd logo
> somewhere. May it be they record most of their stuff on dsd and convert
> it to PCM afterwards? That may take more live out of the recording then
> PCM to PCM? I don't know much about converting this but who knows?
> And if it was recorded in dsd how can they sell it as studio master if
> it was already converted to pcm?

Wombat (great name btw)

DSD was Sony's attempt to get every studio in the world to rebuild its
infrastructure using their proprietory kit. It failed. PCM rules
(ProTools is still PCM AFAIK). Pat can confirm.

DSD is not that different to PCM really. The fact that Linn do use DSD
reflects the fact that they could afford to retool their studio(s). The
conversion loss moving between DSD and PCM is minimal - they are both
hi-rez formats.

Let me put it another way. The majority of studios in the world are
PCM. The richer ones are DSD. Both CAN produce stunning results... as
can boring old redbook. Listen to Jack Johnson or Keb Mo and tell me
they aren't great sounding albums!

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom