Glenn2;405302 Wrote:
> Hi Sean,
> Thanks for the input.
>
> Under load (before the regulator shuts down) there's still over 11V.
> That's enough to feed a 7808->7805 combination I would have thought.
> The dropout would be shared among the two regulators, no? (and 3V each
> should be fine.)
>
> I'd be halving the dropout voltage as far as the 7805 was concerned.
> Or am I missing something?
>
> Cheers,
> Glenn

I agree, if there's excessive headroom to begin with then I think that
would be fine. There may also be some benefit to having a
"preregulator". Note that your total power dissipation has not changed
- but it is better balanced across the heat sink, and that may help.

This sounds like it was a craptastic power supply as delivered. But
nothing too hard to fix...

--
seanadams