darrenyeats;405584 Wrote:
> Oh dear, this is the linear PS I bought. What's the executive summary?
> Am I better off using the switchmode supply, technically speaking?
>
> Whether the difference is audible is another question - as I've said in
> the past, phew ;)
> Darren

Well the design may be somewhat dodgy from a reliability standpoint,
but I have to say that when I did my PSU ADF tests there was no
detectable difference between the Stontronics and (a recent generation
of) the stock PSU using the spdif outs.

So... I reverted to the stock PSU. It uses less electricity. It sounds
great. I'm not convinced that even a really over-engineered linear PSU
would make much/any AUDIBLE difference via the SPDIF outputs, even if
it measured slightly better. I think to make any tangible difference
you would have to dissect the circuit and put some super-regs in...
like the TP!.

Sadly the "credit crunch" has put paid to my plans to get a TP in the
near future. :(

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom