darrenyeats;409965 Wrote:
> Last.fm, spotify etc show the streaming-media-from-cloud concept can
> work for a certain group of people. If that group of people expands
> into the mainstream then good old us - audio enthusiasts who want their
> own music server because they listen so much, or care about which
> masters, or listen to esoteric artists - will be lumped with the vinyl
> lovers.
>
> Darren

Darren,

You make some very good points but I think that from the audiophile
perspective you forgot one really important point: while I love
listening to last.fm and some radio stations via SqueezeNetwork I just
can't tolerate the insanely low bit rate and resulting poor sound
quality for any length of time. Even 128kps, which one rarely gets via
SqueezeNetwork, is nowhere near the sound quality I get by streaming my
own flac files. But then the mainstream has been sold on the lie that
"digital is digital", as is the case with satellite radio - CD quality
my ass.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2