This thread has had it's share of both good and bad from both sides of
the fence. Perhaps a few real world examples of extreme subjective and
objective behavior would prove more useful.

I have a good subjective example:

A good friend is a very well heeled audiophile and owns just about the
best sounding stereo set up I've ever heard. Every so often he invites
me over to listen to the latest upgrade he's made to his system. At
this point most, if not all, of these upgrades consist of some new
outrageously expensive cable, interconnect or power cord. To me the
system sounds just as good (but no better) as it did before the latest
upgrade. To my friend everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is clear,
tighter, sharp, etc. than it was before the magic mega-buck cable,
interconnect or power cord was added to the system. Is he wasting his
time and money chasing his tail? To my ears, yes. To his ears, no.

The whole thing is made worse by the fact I find his listening position
to be much too close to his rather massive speakers and think that, as
opaqueice stated, a change in his listening position would provide
greater improvement in the overall sound of his system than the
addition of any expensive cable. To each his own.

On the objective side:

A double blind test can be used to show that for a majority of people
listening via a good, but not state of the art, stereo system a high
bit rate mp3 file will sound the same as a lossless file and yet the
two files are clearly not the same since they contain two different
data sets. Therefore DBT's can be used to prove that two different
items are, in fact, the same! Okay, not the "same" but the same as far
as sound is concerned.

More examples welcome but please go easy on me.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2