I changed it to output to fixed and the replaygain was already disabled.
Unfortunately, it didn't make a difference.  What's really strange is
that even when it's not streaming anything, even when SB is on standby
(but still connected to the CDP), it still produces the
static/distortion (but less loudly).  I was so convinced that it was
the CDP's problem until I used a DVD player as the digital source and
it worked.  So I can't figure out why both the SB and CDP work
independently, just not with each other.  Maybe I should try streaming
in WAV format.

--
majnun71