john4456;411754 Wrote:
> In the UK the Advertising Standards Authority ("ASA") exists to police
> the advertising industry and investigate complaints from the public.
> The ASA is occasionally called on to adjudicate complaints concerning
> an advertiser's claims regarding sound quality. In investigating a
> complaint against Nokia in 2007 the ASA concluded that Nokia's claim
> that 128kbs AAC equated to ""CD sound quality" was "unlikely to
> mislead". They based this conclusion on tests provided by Nokia that
> "proved that most listeners were unable to distinguish between
> compressed AAC files encoded at 128kbps and CD sound".
>
> http://www.cap.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_42482.htm
>
> This judgement has been widely reported (and lamented) in the UK hifi
> press.

Thanks for the link...very interesting. However you do know what the
response will be from those in favor of DBTs: The tests conducted by
Nokia were faulty, as is almost ALWAYS the case when DBT's fail to
produce the desired result.

Perhaps those pro-DBT should follow some of their own advice: if DBTs
can, and often do, produce faulty results then maybe, just maybe, it is
the whole concept of DBT that is faulty.

As for the comparisons to mathematical proofs, I seem to remember that
finding even one exception to a given theorem (unlike in spelling where
exceptions proved the rule) was enough to invalidate the theorem. When
an individual involved in an DBT consistently identifies A as A and B
as B while the majority of the other people cannot then that person's
taken as proving that real differences exist.

While statistics have their place and are very useful, they are not the
same thing as rigid mathematical proofs. So please make up your minds,
is it "hard science", as is the case with mathematical proofs, or
"soft" science, as is the case with statistics?

By the way, if DBTs can be used to show that no differences exist where
there clearly are differences, as is the case with comparisons of lossy
to lossless compression, then exactly what good are they?

Oh wait, I know the answer to this: they allow the pro-DBTers to laugh
at expensive audio cables. Well go ahead and laugh away because I
rather enjoy my main stereo system with its expensive cables although I
must admit that on this system lossless files do tend to sound better
than lossy files. Maybe that's because the only thing in the system
made by Logitech is the Transporter and not the speakers.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2