ralphpnj;411768 Wrote:

> By the way, if DBTs can be used to show that no differences exist where
> there clearly are differences, as is the case with comparisons of lossy
> to lossless compression, then exactly what good are they?

I'm not sure if you're deliberately misstating this, but I'll give you
the benefit of the doubt. Any kind of listening tests - sighted, blind,
double blind or anything else cannot hope to "show that no differences
exist". They can only show whether or not any differences are
perceivable. That's an incredibly important distinction - I agree that
FLAC and mp3 are _different_, that's not up for discussion. What is
interesting is whether the difference can be perceived, because if it
can't, I'd question whether it matters. And of course, no test
involving less than the entire human species can say that some
difference is or is not perceivable for everyone, which is where
statistics comes into play. If I properly setup a test with a properly
selected set of subjects, I can say with a known certainty how likely
it is that you (or anyone else) could perceive this difference.

> Oh wait, I know the answer to this: they allow the pro-DBTers to laugh
> at expensive audio cables. Well go ahead and laugh away because I
> rather enjoy my main stereo system with its expensive cables
And I rather enjoy mine with it's decidedly cheap cables. I'm glad
we're both enjoying the music :)

--
radish