cdmackay;412293 Wrote:
> Teus de Jong wrote:
> > Lets make a comparison here. If someone has read Umberto Eco's novel
> > 'The name of the rose', the impact of this novel will totally depend
> on
> > the background knowledge of this person. The beautiful thing about
> this
> > novel is that you don't need any background knowledge to appreciate
> the
> > book.
>
> no, but you certainly need some patience and perseverance; I find it
> hard-going, albeit rewarding.
>
> warning: don't expect "the book of the film" :)
>
> cheers,
> c.

Yes, "The Name of the Rose" can be a tough at times but it's a little
easier to understand than some of Eco's other novels. "The Island of
the Day Before" is one of my favorites and I'm still not sure that I
even understood about half of it. Sometimes Eco reads like the Italian
Thomas Pynchon, they both take more than a little work to get through
their books but the extra effort is always well rewarded.

Sorry for going so far off topic but I think things needed a break for
a post or two. I find it revealing to read about the forum members'
other interests aside from audio, music and computers. Literature is as
good an "other interest" to delve into as anything else.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2