cdmackay;412296 Wrote:
> to me, it comes down to a simple issue of justifying cost.
>
> I hear that the Transporter might be a very good upgrade from my SBR.
> And it looks great. And I can have my beloved old-fashioned analogue
> VU*, and still have text info. Marvelous! :)
>
> But it costs over a thousand quid, which is a huge amount of money, to
> me.
>
> I don't trust myself at all: if I buy it, I might sit there and think:
>
> "goodness, this is so much better than before".
>
> But I know I am likely to be easily swayed by these extraneous things,
>
> especially after a few gins, so I'd like to know that I really am
> hearing an improvement.
>
> That *requires* that I do proper ABX testing: if I can tell the
> difference, I can then decide whether it's worth it (to me), to spend
> the money acheiving it. If I can't tell the difference, I won't buy it.
>
> I don't believe anything other than ABX testing can answer this
> question, for me.
>
> I did a similar test when deciding to move from my "prosumer" compact
> digital camera to a full-blown digital SLR. It cost much more than the
>
> Transporter, but I found I could take much better (to me) pictures with
>
> it, so I'm very happy.
>

> So, why not just buy myself the Transporter, and believe it's better,
> even if I'm fooling myself? If I believe it, what's the problem? It's
> simple: I can't really afford to do that. I would be better off
> spending
> the money on better speakers (well, that's true anyway). Or gin.
>

> cheers,
> calum.
>
> * - I grew up watching these meters on high-class audio, and I wish I
> had them now, despite them being useless (to me).

You're right, if nothing short of a full blown ABX will make you happy
then don't spend the money. However, just for the record, what does
your audio system consist of right now? Are you using the analog
outputs of the SBR or the digital outputs into an external DAC or
receiver? There are several other ways to improve the sound of your
existing audio system besides upgrading to a Transporter and many of
them may cost less than a Transporter.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2