I thought I would take a moment to bring up an old post to add a recent
experience to it.  I presently have a ModWright modified Transporter
and I recently was given a chance to A/B it with an SB3/DAC on a fairly
neutral and detailed system.  The system in question was a pair of
Linkwitz Orions (which I will be building a pair of soon for my 2-ch
setup) with all Pass Labs Amps and XP10 preamp.  The SB3 was connected
to a Theta Va DAC.  To get to the point, the sound was almost
indistinguishable to the three people in the room, all of which are
seasoned music lovers.  I thought the midrange might be a bit more
natural with my MW TP, but really that could have as easily been the
track at any given time.  This was not double-blind.  It was for my
curiosity and I was glad to have heard the similarities.  Especially
when you consider how different the two approaches are.  The
tube-rolling of the MW might make it a bit more user-tunable, but other
than that and a one-box solution I cannot think of a reason for someone
not to go the SB3/DAC route.  Unless 24/96 becomes a big deal in the
next couple years.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting.
-Michael

--