funkstar;419405 Wrote:
> I really don't see the point of a device that will do 24/96 -without-
> having the decent output stages.
>
> The audible difference between 24/48 and 24/96 are debatable from what
> I've read. And the down sampling via SOX is very high quality.

I see the point , I have a MeridianG68J home theater processor that
operates in 24/96 it's also doing further processing with room acoustics
compensation and several surround modes aimed at 2ch sources and a
digital volume control a very decent 24/96 dac and analog stages. I have
a further goal of getting me a pair of their dsp-speakers where you use
an all digital signal directly to speakers and the crossovers operates
in 24/96.

I have no analog sources at all.
In Meridians case there is no analog bypass, they expect all quality
sources to have digital outputs ( they don't regard vinyl as quality
source so an added AD-DA stage wont hurt that especially done in
24bit).

In short having a good surround processor thats operates in 24/96 and
already is used as DAC for all my sources makes any other dac in the
system an anachronism.

SOX yes it is very good actually my 2c:

* It's very good downsampling sound very good.
* It saves bandwidth for wireless players .
* It uses a lot of CPU if you have a mini-ITX or atom server you can
only serve one transcoded stream at the time, if you want to stream
different 24/96 mtrl to different players you are doomed.
* For the same reason it's downright unusable on all but the most
powerful NAS boxes, The most economical server upgrade if you already
have sunked plenty of $ into a NAS can be to get yourself a transporter
if you have a lot of 24/96 files.

So as I see it an SB4 with 24/96 digital output is an good idea, I'm
prepared to pay for it if it appears.

But there are so few good 24/96 recordings it's a fun novelty to play
with, but sound quality and music these days ?

--
Mnyb