cliveb;421576 Wrote:
> The 89 (or 83) dB value is misleading you into associating it somehow
> with the 96dB dynamic range of 16bit PCM. The two figures are completely
> unrelated.
>
> The Replaygain algorithm compares the loudness of the track/album in
> question against the loudness of a -20dB RMS pink noise signal, and
> simply sets an adjustment to bring down (or up) to the selected target
> level.
>
> The fact that the target level was originally expressed as "83dB" (now
> usually 89dB) is down to the fact that the SMPTE standard states that
> pink noise at -20dB RMS shall be played back at 83dB SPL. (If you want
> to you could play it back at 110dB SPL - it's just a consequence of
> where you set the playback volume control).
>
> As I understand it, Replaygain chose the -20dB RMS pink noise signal as
> its "base reference level" for no other reason than it was a convenient
> standard that happened to be in existence. The fact that they also
> decided to use the SPL playback level as the way to express the target
> loudness seems strange to me, because it's clearly the source of
> confusion. (But then again, the guy who developed Replaygain has a
> doctorate in this area, so he probably knows what he's doing).

Thanks Clive - that's cleared that up for me!

I'll have the results of the tests you suggested later today... looking
interesting!

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom