kllngtme,you are on a well trodden path to better audio from your SB3.
i started with a SB3,then added an outboard NOS dac(Moodlabs
Concept).
i toyed with the alternative power supply idea but decided it really
wasn't worth the hassle.
with the sb3 etc plugged into my main system the end result was quite
good.....to improve on this setup i purchased a Transporter and i have
been more than happy with this machine for more than a year now.
i use a QNAP 109Pro as server and being a complete novice in all Linux
i was really surprised with a wee bit of an effort i got it all going
with the excellent software that is available i.e. SSODS for
Turbostation.
once set up it's breeze to maintain/update SqueezeCenter, so give it a
go and surprise yourself!.
these forums are the icing on the cake 'cos any problems you might run
into have already (mostly) been encountered before.
check my system out and you'll find it's a pretty straightforward
setup.

dennis

--
dennis55