In the days of steam, I used to be a designer of electronic test
equipment. In those days, all test sets we built were 'burnt in' for a
couple of days at elevated temperatures prior to shipping. From what I
recall, this was not aimed to improve specification, but to speed up the
onset of infant mortality (components would fail) soon in their life or
last for ever. The sets which failed had the dud components replaced and
burnt in again.

There is however an argument that the compliance of suspension
components (cone surround and voicecoil support) in moving coil
loudspeakers changes early in their life following initial use - with
beneficial effects on the quality of the sound.

I think that the two processes mentioned above may have become confused
in the press.  Now magically you have to 'burn in' your cd player.

--
Andy8421