Hi iPhone. My VTL 2.5 preamp has quite a bit of noise through my
speakers. The noise is quite audible from 9 ft away during quiet
passages (not noticeable during moderate or loud passages). New tubes
solve the problem for a month or two, but they eventually get noisy
also. The preamp is also connected to my surround processor, so it is
turned on quite a bit of the time. I like its smooth sound, but it does
roll off a bit on the high end. When I connected my Benchmark DAC
directly to my amp the noise went away (which I expected), but also the
highs were more extended and the bass was quicker. Always looking for a
way to improve things, I started looking into preamps when I discovered
the idea of passive preamps. As I've said above, they sound good on
paper (no active components to introduce noise or distortion), but the
casual comments I've read on the web lead me to believe they are tricky
to integrate into a system. I really don't want to make it a career to
continuously fiddle with the system to get it to sound right. On the
other hand, if I only need to be careful about using an amp with a high
input impedance (mine is 100K), I'd still be interested in them.

--
duke43j