Hi Phil.  My system is an SB3 => Benchmark DAC => VTL 2.5 preamp =>
Classe CA2100 amp => Thiel 2.4 speakers.

The DAC and amp have balanced connectors, but the VTL is unbalanced
only, so I can't try the XLRs. I don't have a problem with 60 Hz hum or
other external interference. It's white noise that is internal to the
VTL. So I don't even think a balanced cable would help in this instance.
I think the only way to get rid of the noise is to replace the preamp.
Hence the interest in passive preamps.

I also need to be able to switch between the SB3/DAC, a surround
processor and a phono preamp. I really need a line stage preamp in the
system to switch between inputs. One solution would have been the
Benchmark DAC-Preamp, but it doesn't have a surround bypass. I'm afraid
I would blow out my amp or speakers by forgetting to adjust the gain
before switching over.

--
duke43j