A couple of thoughts:

1) You shouldn't get audible hiss from 9ft away at normal listening
levels from ANY amp

2) the hiss reduces with new valves then quite rapidly comes back (2
months?)

3) the output impedance of the 2.5 is 200 ohms, the input impedance of
VTL's own power amps is 100k

4) hissing noise is not due to impedance problems IME - and according
to the specs you shouldn't have a problem anyway if everything is
working properly

5) I suspect that you have a faulty resistor or capacitor in the
pre-amp - or possibly a fault in the valve heater circuits. New valves
cause a change in bias conditions but over time the underlying fault
causes the new valves to deteriorate. I've seen this in valve guitar
pre-amps.

6) It is possible a fault is damaging the valves - do you have an old
set? - swap them out with the current set and see if the old ones
immediately hiss. H

7) How does the hissing change with the volume and mute controls on the
pre-amp? is the hissing identical on left and right channels?

8) You commented that the top end sounds rolled-off... but the specs
say the preamp goes to 60kHz -3dB... that seems odd.

Finally, try this. I believe your preamp has two 12AU7 and 2 12AT7
valves - try swapping the valves of the same type with each other. It's
very rare for more than one valve to develop an identical fault at once
in a pre-amp. If the hiss stays the same I'd strongly suspect a faulty
resistor.

It's hard to diagnose/suggest further without a circuit diagram.

I urge you to get the pre-amp serviced professionally.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom