Good point about the heater circuit. I never came across that kind of
problem before, but it certainly sounds possible.

I'm still curious why it seemed to work OK with the dealer's system.
Maybe his McIntosh amp had a lower gain than my Classe. This might have
caused me to increase the volume level on the VTL. Since the noise would
stay constant, this might explain why the SNR improved.

It turns out that the same dealer carries Ayre equipment. I might take
a trip over there to see what they've got on the shelf.

I did e-mail VTL and I'm waiting for a reply. I'll post up what they
have to say.

Thanks guys. (I assume you're guys.) I've been assuming that the VTL
(and tubes in general) were noisy, and it was just something I had to
live with it. You've given me some hope that this can be fixed without
going to a new unit.

--
duke43j