Howard Passman;431156 Wrote:
> Hi Darren,
>
> The first line of your response piqued my curiosity.  I would never
> have thought of purchasing the speakers first based on my understanding
> and experience the speakers do the most substantial "coloring" of the
> music.  This is a serious question from me.  Can you give me some of
> your thoughts as to why you would pick speakers last?
>
> BTW, I'm really not setting you up here unless someone else takes a
> shot.  I am genuinely curious.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Howard
Passive loudspeakers (which are most loudspeakers in audiophile land)
tend to vary a lot in terms of how difficult they are to drive and in
terms of complexity of load.

A speaker with a complex, difficult load e.g. Wilson Audio stuff will
need a class A or similar amp that can deliver a lot of current into
crazy loads e.g. Krell, Classe.

High efficiency lower load speakers e.g. Klipsch are easier loads but
are not strictly as neutral as other designs - owners tend to match
their tonal qualities with valve amps.

Etc and so on. :) With passives the choice of speaker could well
influence the choice of amp, I don't think I'm being controversial here.
;)

Slightly more controversial is the fact that actives, by their nature
lacking a crossover after the amp power stage and driving each driver in
isolation, present far less problems in terms of load and complexity of
load. In other words you don't need to throw oodles of money at
amplification because the demands are predictably lower.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.

(Inguz bass EQ'd) SB3 -> (pre bypassed) Krell KAV-300i -> PMC AB-1
(caps bass EQ'd) Laptop -> Genius Slab SW-flat2.1 700
SB3 / Rio Karma / Laptop -> Roberts Sound 43 / Sennheiser PX-100 / JVC
UX-C30