JezA;433895 Wrote:
> You might get a 20w amplifier to drive a speaker to 'deafening levels'
> but the reason you would be being deafened is that it will be clipping
> transients horrifically on any material with a decent dynamic range
> played back at a decent level. Sure a horn loaded loudspeaker will make
> a lot of noise with a low powered amp, but at the expense of some
> dreadful colourations, not to mention lots of money.  I agree with
> Labarum, a 20w/channel amp in a £1k product is just odd, most modern
> decent speakers just aren't sensitive enough to be driven effectively by
> such a product. I suppose you could listen very near-field though, but
> if it was me I'd be looking for a decent amp, that didn't constrain my
> choice of speakers or playback dynamic range. After all Phil, you
> yourself are using a 90w/ch amplifier to drive a tweeter!

Erm...yes, part of the benefit of using active speakers is to avoid the
3-6dB insertion loss of the passive crossover, making more "watts"
available as sound and less as heat...

It's a peculiarity of the Linn active approach that ones ends up with
identical amps driving all speakers when 20W would be more than adequate
for the tweeter. Other manufacturers (Meridian, ATC) use different sized
amps for the different drivers.

About the clipping. A well-designed 20w amp will not clip, it will give
full power bandwidth delivery into a stable load cleanly up to the
limits of its supply rails. The deciding factor in "will it go loud
enough?" becomes the effeciency of the speakers. For a properly designed
amp with a GOOD power supply, Clipping should not occur unless the load
impedance falls below the expected range (4-8 ohms) or the input is
overdriven. Let me try it another way... any amp you buy these days
should not clip at all at full volume into a non-reactive 8-ohm load and
with the correct input signal...regardless of whether it is 20w or 200w
rated.

This became an issue when CD was introduced because many pre-amps of
the day couldn't handle the line level signal (2V) and were merrily
clipping away which in turn overdrove the power amps into full power
near-square waves and a few tweeters got fried!

In the 80's there was a passion for complex crossovers (Apogee
Scintilla's, 'Bariks etc) which could drop to 1-2 ohms impedance at
certain frequencies and even some otherwise very good amps couldn't
handle that.

Earlier, in the 70's, many tweeters got fried because the amp power
supplies were rubbish and couldn't deliver the demanded power cleanly
and clipped inelegantly. The NAD3020 was the first amp I remember that
had a "soft-clipping" option to try and mitigate against the limits of
its internal power supply.

Modern box speakers (not horns) can achieve 90dB/w/m sensitivity and
thus only demand half as much amplifier power as one rated at 87dB/w/m
for the same SPL.

The other part of the equation is, how big is the room? In a typical UK
room - say 6m x 4m? - with a listening position of 2-3m from the
speakers - I reckon 20W into effecient speakers will produce an adequate
level for most people. Sure it won't have the dynamic headroom for
realistic Telarc cannons... or sound like your head is stuck in the bass
bin at a Deep Purple gig... but it should sound fine most of the time.

Back in the 60's - early 70's, 20W was considered to be a lot of watts
:o)

Most of the revered valve amps (until more recent times) didn't give up
more than 50w... Quad, Radford, Leak, Rogers etc, but then again valve
watts are different anyway ;o). As I recall it was the emergence of the
Mosfet tranny amps that kick-started the high power years.

Some really nice Class A tranny amps (MF A1, various Sugdens) were
around 20W.

It really does boil down to how well designed the amplifier is and how
loud you need the volume to be in your room.

There's no law of the universe that says 20W can't be very loud indeed
with the right speakers/room.... and into the same speakers, 200w is
only twice as loud as 20w :o)

Finally, the maximum level you can achieve is governed by teh max clean
SPL of the speakers as well as the power deliverycapability of the amp.
Regards
Phil

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom