pfarrell;434219 Wrote:
> Labarum wrote:
> > I love it!
> >
> > There is no point in over engineering the replay chain beyond the
> > limitations of the recording chain. Example : how much does the
> audio
> > cable used in the average recording studio cost per metre?
>
> maybe a buck.
> There are lots of meters of cable, and lots of patch panels
>
> And lots of the mics are Shure SM57s that retail for under $100 each.

Indeed - and all of Freddy Mercury's vocals were recorded with an SM58
as I recall...

These days it's not just the miles of cable - it's the software on
computers and mixing consoles and FX...

In some cases there is probably less cable now than years ago, because
so much is done in situ on computers in terms of mixing, FX and
post-prod.
It always makes me smile when people stress over whether or not to use
a pre-amp because of the extra path-length, when in reality what they
are listening to has already passed through 50 rather cheap op-amps and
has been indelibly imprinted with their sound... (I'm not criticising
anyone or their thought processes/hearing - just making an "alternate
point-of-view" observation).
P.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom