Phoenix;436517 Wrote:
> I completely agree.  There is a lot of utter nonsense out there.  How
> for example can a wireless streamer that delivers bit perfect copies of
> the original source be anything than perfect, and how can anything
> possibly be "better" than it? The only explanation I can think of is
> this particular "journalist" is hearing some particular alteration in
> the music stream on the "better" sounding component he prefers to bit
> perfect reproduction. And if it's 10 times as expensive and has a really
> impressive piece of aircraft aluminum front piece all the better,
> especially if said "journalist" doens't have to pay for it, and gets it
> on long term loan until another equally expensive and impressive piece
> of gear gets shipped to his listening room.

+1. Well said. We need a new HiFi Rag that works like Consumer Reports.
The gear to be tested is purchased and there is no ad space for HiFi
gear in the magazine which means the reviewers are beholden to nobody!
The gear is sold on Audiogon as soon as the review is done or held only
long enough for comparisons.

To bad that a true subscription based magazine is a thing of the past.
Because that is the only way to have a gear review magazine that is
completely free to tell the whole truth. There is some great gear out
there that is not reviewed by TAS or Stereophile only because the big
guys don't think its fair to have to compete with special purpose low
production HiFi gear. The reason not to review it, they don't meet the
minimum number produced or minimum number of required dealers. One will
not find Aria Tube gear reviewed because they sell direct to the public
(no magic dealer number).

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
House Portable: SB3, Audioengine A5
Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
Expedition: SB3, ToughBook