Seems to me there's an elephant in the room.

Advertising pays for all these magazines, and manufacturers pay for
advertising. Editors are too smart to just put a good review near an
advertisement for the product - the process is more subtle.

The reviews will be favourable at the brand-level. Supposing company A
puts out several devices and they advertise with the rad. Company B puts
out a similar device, and the review will be equivocal and in the bowels
of the magazine/website.

Company A puts out a new device - covershot, positive if not glowing
review, product placement, smiling faces etc etc.

I agree with the OP that including just.plain.technically.wrong
information in a review like that is utterly dangerous - it promotes a
notion in the consumer mind that the CD is the gold standard which is
just balls. And 6k GBP for a CD/DAC combo - get a grip people. Spend it
on an airfare to a gig and get a squeezebox or 1k combo instead. Or give
it to development agencies - that's just a bag of noodles where a brain
should be. Even punters like me know that.

--
Dingostrategy

Lounge: SB3 + Genelec 6010A | Kitchen: SB3 + $80 bookshelf stereo. Top
shelf gear. | Bedroom/Terrace - Boom | Headless Asus EEE Box & Linux
Mint | iPod touch/iPeng

"Dear Mother, kindly forward underwear, DAC and those Jensen's I bought
offa ebay"

'dingostrat...@last.fm' (http://www.last.fm/user/DingoStrategy/)