svtcontour;436598 Wrote:
> Hi guys. I used my SB3 for quite some time and then wondered what it
> might be like with an external DAC. Didnt have much $$ so I purchased a
> used Musical Fidelity X-DAC and later a mint MSB Daclink III. I found
> the MSB to be better and I've
> been happy with it so far but I wonder now if there is much more to be
> gained by going with a newer DAC in terms of resolution.
>
> Rest of my system is a Threshold SA3 amp and a Soundcraftsmen
> Pro-Control 3 preamp and Usher S520 bookshelfs. I know the
> Soundcraftsmen is probably out of place but its IMO it was better than
> the other preamps I tried (Rotel RB870BX, Bryston BP20 and Perraux SA3).
> I recently built my own speakers which I prefer over the Ushers and its
> based on a pair of Vifa 6.5" and Vifa 1"
>
> Thanks in advance guys.

I've never actually used the analog output of the SB3, so I can't say
how good or bad it is.  I already have a Benchmark DAC1 before I
purchased my Sueezebox and I can tell you I a very happy with how it
sounds.
Also, since Benchmark has been releasing a variety of never versions
of the DAC1 incorporating things like USWB2 imput( you don't need it w a
Sqeezebox), and analog imputs to make the thing a pre anp, there are any
number of pre-owned DAC1's on Ebay. One in good condition can probably
be had for $600 USD, and should really sound great when paired with a
Duet or a Squeezebox.

--
Phoenix

Media Room: VPI HW-19MK4,Cardas Heart Ruby, Fidelity Research Fr64s
tonearm;SB3, Tact RCS 2.0, Benchmark Dac1; Audible Illusions Mk3; Two
Bel 1001's Bridged; Aerial Accoustice 10ts.