I know that replaygain is a secondary control mechanism. However, it
seems "smartgain" in the squeezeboxes can not dynamically
correct/address very significant differences between tracks (and I think
in a large library one will easily enocunter a 10dB range these days).

The clipping aspect puzzles me. Of course if the WAV itself has
distortion in it there is nothing that can be done about it. But a high
enough replaygain can push a perfectly good base WAV (coded as a FLAC or
MP3 with said replaygain info) into clipping as it gets converted to
analog, right? Which is why I am puzzled by how many songs I download
from amazon.com/mp3 are pushed to 98dB and show up as clipping in
MP3gain, which seems easy enough to correct.

However I would like to check and if necessary correct some FLAC stuff
I ripped with dbPoweramp, and which dbPoweramp itself seems to have
attached a high replaygain to (at least in the resulting MP3). I do not
quite understand why dbPoweramp would have done that, because I have no
such configuration in there.

Weird.

--
pablolie

...pablo
Server: 3.3 GHz Intel E8600 Core 2 Duo (8GB) - Vista Ultimate 64 (and
formerly Ubuntu 8.10 64)
Sources: SB3 (4), SB Boom (2), Duet, Accuphase DP65v CD
Amplifier: Accuphase E306v
Loudspeakers: Ceeroy 3-way tower tuned by Darmstadt Psychoacoustics
Lab
Headphones: Grado SR-1