pablolie;443134 Wrote:
> I know that replaygain is a secondary control mechanism. However, it
> seems "smartgain" in the squeezeboxes can not dynamically
> correct/address very significant differences between tracks (and I think
> in a large library one will easily enocunter a 10dB range these days).
>
> The clipping aspect puzzles me. Of course if the WAV itself has
> distortion in it there is nothing that can be done about it. But a high
> enough replaygain can push a perfectly good base WAV (coded as a FLAC or
> MP3 with said replaygain info) into clipping as it gets converted to
> analog, right? Which is why I am puzzled by how many songs I download
> from amazon.com/mp3 are pushed to 98dB and show up as clipping in
> MP3gain, which seems easy enough to correct.
>
> However I would like to check and if necessary correct some FLAC stuff
> I ripped with dbPoweramp, and which dbPoweramp itself seems to have
> attached a high replaygain to (at least in the resulting MP3). I do not
> quite understand why dbPoweramp would have done that, because I have no
> such configuration in there.
>
> Weird.

You need to STOP using Mp3Gain. Replaygain as applied by Robins' script
or Foobar 2k will NOT cause playback clipping ever.

Remember that RG does NOT alter the audio in your music files - it only
adds a meta-data tag which is interpreted by SC on playback.

RG does NOT cause clipping. Also, trackgain and album gain are
calculated correctly so that SmartGain works perfectly depending on
whether you are playing a whole album or randome tracks across random
albums.

The biggest variation between tracks I have (from different albums) is
from +7dB to -12dB ... and it works just fine - they come out sounding
OK. No need to reach for the volume control.

Please just get Foobar 2k or Robin's script(they are FREE!!!), let it
reapply RG to your entire library and listen to SmartGain again.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom