To the OP, I would give it a chance to burn-in though, honestly, my
experience is that the basic sound of the TP is what it is and I doubt
you are going to hear much difference as it ages.

Given that my TP setup sounds nothing like what you describe my guess
is:

1) your settings and/or rips are off.
2) you have a system synergy and/or setup issue.
3) you have a faulty TP unit.
4) your hearing is whacked. <wink>

I will say that my experience with the TP is that it is an
extraordinarily uncouloured and revealing digital source that shows no
mercy with inferior quality recorded material and which I find to only
be satisfactory with tube colourations upstream of it. Indeed tubes
upstream somewhere is a commonality I have with any and all digital
sources but it is mroeson the case with the TP than anything else I have
heard on the digital front. Indeed I find far too many of my digital
recordings to be "unlistenable" through the TP which, is why I have
other digital front ends setup and ready to go in my main rig. I realize
that this is not the ideal way to go about things but it is what works
for me.

On the flip side, the TP can produce an out of body musical listening
experience when it is paired up with the right ancillary components and
when fed a top notch signal. Especially so with 24/96.

I couldn't be without mine.

Good luck getting your TP to work in your setup. Like with most any top
system component, it needs to "synergized" with the rest of your system
and time should be taken to ensure it does because, when it is
"tuned-up", the sonic rewards are outstanding.

- Kerry

--
Pneumonic

Main:

Transporter
Squeezebox 3 > Sonic Frontiers Ultra Jitterbug > Roksan DAC/PS
Modwright Sony SCD 777ES
Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 Preamp
Quicksilver Silver 90 Mono Power amps
Martin Logan CLS II Speakers