If you don't mind using your PC as a server you will be just fine with a
wireless router (or lan cable) and a squeezebox classic or duet. I had
this setup for over a year together with a rotel ra-06 an rcd-06. Sound
quality of the SB classic is slight below the rcd-06 but very good.
If you want something more, like me today, you could buy the
transporter. The improvement in sound was very impressive with the above
mentioned setup and will be more if you buy even better equipment in the
future (I am going to buy a Yamaha A-S2000 or something similar the next
days).

You can control the music playing on your stereo with the remote
control or with the web interface on your computer.

--
Aurumer