You've got a few options.  Definitely explore the external dac option: I
am running one with my duet and it made a great difference.  I have not
heard a transporter, but that has great reports, but ensure if you are
getting an external dac it is better than the transporter's.

John_Dumke;449376 Wrote:

> If I can't get it fixed (or even if I can), I was thinking of getting a
> used Adcom GFA-5802 (or two) to drive the speakers. These are 300wpc
> amps. It seams like there are a lot less choices these days for 2
> channel amps.
>
> Any suggestions on 2 channel amps with good power?
>
> I am interested to hear what it sounds like with the Pre Amp out of the
> system.

You've got some options, audiogon is a good place to look as well as
dealers: they tend to have a lot of second hand gear and ex-demo stuff
hanging around these days.

You could also look at replacing your pre and power with the Krell
integrated, thw s-300i, it replaces the KAV-400xi so there are good
prices for it around.

--
ask