I rather think it's the later, if you haven't experimented with sub's in
a high end system, you might not appreciate what they can do.  I
mentioned earlier, that I like what a satalite/subwoofer system can do.
In my living room right now, I've got a pair of B&W 705's with a 750
sub.  To my ears, this setup sounded better than a pair of the larger
floor standers in the same series.  The smaller sattelites image better,
but suffer when pushed loud or with bass heavy music. Strip the low bass
off, and let the sub handle it, and the system has both great dynamics
and imaging.

I took a quick look at the article you mentioned, and realized I had
read it several years ago, under the authors original "Secrets" title.
He makes some good points, and, also some factual errors, but in
general, I agree with most of what he says.

Konut suggested a higher order crossover between the mains and sub, and
while I agree, I only go half as far, and prefer a second order filter.
My reason for this, is that I agree with the underlying rational with
the THX spec using a second order filter.  If you take a speaker with a
second order roll off (ie an acoustic suspension or sealed box,
hopefully with a butterworth alignment),  and combine it with a second
order electrical filter (again butterworth), then you achieve an
effective 4th order Linkwitz Riley filter!   Your sub then uses a forth
order LR filter, and you've got a reasonably good shot at not having
frequency response problems in the cross-over region.

By now, you may have started to grasp the biggest issue with subs in
high end systems.  It's not entirely plug and play, and there's plenty
of room for error.  Good speaker designers spend a ton of time
measuring, listening, thinking, adjusting speakers to get them sounding
the way they want.  Properly integrating a sub with speaker is the same.
Do your homework, and or get lucky, and it can sound great.  Get it
wrong, and it can sound like that Civic that was beside you at the red
light the other day...

Cheers, and good listening!    Dave

--
DCtoDaylight

Audiophile wish list: Zero Distortion, Infinite Signal to Noise Ratio,
and a Bandwidth from DC to Daylight