The dream would be a single server application streaming FLAC's, ripped
DVD's and ripped Blu-Ray's to the network and our iPhones (music only).
The hardware dream would be a single box which can play all that off
network and do alternate duty  between stereo and home-theater serving
superb front speakers and movie-grade surround speakers.
The reality seems to be - an integrated home theater receiver fed by a
duet and a networked Blu-Ray player. But before I do that I want to get
an idea of what it would take to incorporate an almost-Transporter-level
stereo quality into a home theater setup.
Many devices promise to play various media files but need a separate
streaming application besides the two I already use - Squeezebox server
and Simplify Music for streaming to our phones. The navigation is not at
all elegant. A duet is far better.
If this takes me into separates, then I assume the DAC in a Transporter
becomes redundant and I could just use a duet.
My PC sound setup (in signature) is extremely satisfying but the home
theater location is more suited to listening with others. I suppose
everyone here has addressed this issue in some way. Any pointers to
simplify will be very helpful.

--
guptaas

1)Quiet PC>Benchmark DAC1 USB>PS Audio HCA-2 power amp>Salk HT2-TL
speakers
2)Basement Server>Duet/Squeezeslaves>Various Pioneer Amps>Various Polk
speakers