Oh man, I can already hear the howls and see the eyes rolling!

It's been over two weeks since wavfan posted his preference for
Slimserver 6.5.1 with firmware 27.  I finally got around to trying it
out for myself.  I only compared 6.5.4 (my current version) to 6.5.1,
and fellas, in my system, with my ears, and using my deranged mind, I
can certainly tell a difference in the sound characteristics ---- and I
definitely prefer 6.5.1.  Thank you - wavfan.

First, let me tell you my ears aren't what they used to be - I have
tinnitus in my left ear and a definite loss of higher frequency
sensitivity in the left as well (it sux getting old). Still, the
difference is significant to me.

Overall, using 6.5.1, the sound is a bit thinner, and the lows are not
as strong.  But individual instruments and voices are clearer and more
easily discernable within the overall soundstage.  As wavfan said, it
beckons me to "turn it up", and boy do I.

6.5.4, on the other hand, has a fatter, fuller sound.  But at louder
levels it just has a tendency to bring an unsatisfying "digital fatigue"
to my ears that over time makes me want to turn it down or even turn it
off.

I'm not even going to begin to surmise why or how this difference can
be explained.  I don't care to convince anyone.

My system: Windows Vista, Wireless to Transporter, digital coax out to
APL (Alex Peychev) custom DAC/preamp, Classe amps, Dynaudio custom 3-way
speakers.  PS-Audio provides regenerated power to all line-level
components.

In a few weeks I plan to compare 6.5.1 to the current version.  But for
now I'm tired of comparing and want to get back to listening and loving
it.

Thanks again wavfan for the help!

--
dudeymon