ralphpnj;458800 Wrote:
> I don't mean to be a pain in the neck, but just how exactly can the
> S/PDIF output be "better" since if the device (whether the device is the
> Classic or the Receiver or the Touch) is acting only as a digital
> pass-through and the bits (the digital signal) are received exactly has
> they were sent out from the server and are then passed along intact via
> the S/PDIF output to an external DAC? Isn't that one of the primary
> tenets of digital audio, that "bits is bits"?
>
> Of course other than the fact that the Touch supports and thereby
> passes along high resolution files. The differences in the DACs I
> clearly understand but not so the differences in the S/PDIF outputs. If
> I'm mistaken then please correct me but in layman's terms, if possible.

I think this is the answer you're 'looking for'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=456536&postcount=5). It is
why I posted Touch is better then Classic/Receiver using S/PDIF.

And I agree that the Touch has a bunch of potential for being the
transport for ones external DAC as the S/PDIF appears to be better then
the Classic/Receiver and has native 24/96 support.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Mains, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope
2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Second Boom