dsdreamer;466679 Wrote:
> Inspired by the latest Stereophile issue and the Ayre USB DAC, I was
> wondering why not create a custom-convert file to do antipodal filtering
> as part of an upsampling scheme to 96kHz. The idea would be to eliminate
> some of the pre-echo artifacts on 44.1kHz recordings. This would only be
> useful for the Transpoter or Touch. Does this idea sound worth pursuing?

I've been using sox standalone to do upsampling to 96kHz with a minimum
phase filter that cuts off early (93% of the available 22kHz) using the
following command:

Code:
--------------------

  for %%a in (*.flac) do sox -S "%a" -b 24 -t flac "%%a"u rate -b 93 -a -M -v
96k

--------------------

I need find a way to get sox to tell me the impulse response of the
filter I am creating by this method. It should look a bit like the 7th
impulse response from the top in this pic.
http://sox.sourceforge.net/rate-44k1-96k.png

I am trying to emulate the technique used by Ayre according to
http://www.ayre.com/pdf/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf

The trouble is that with a 96kHz sample rate, I am still subject to
quite a bit of influence from the final DAC's choice of filter. It would
be better to attempt this experiment at 192kHz, therefore.

The upsampled files using the above sox commands don't sound any better
to me than the originals, but I don't have access to a 192kHz DAC (or
Transporter) at the moment to try.

--
dsdreamer