pfarrell;479697 Wrote:
> Phil Leigh wrote:
> > The entire thread is useless as there will never be a Transporter
> II.
>
> Never say never.
> But that said, I agree, that a TP 2 is unlikely anytime soon.
>
> I don't see a market for cheaper Audiophile items, and I expect it
> will
> be a decade before there is a technological reason to invent a new
> one.
> Plus, there is a non-zero chance that MP3 files are all that will be
> available for mass market music.
>
> I rarely touch my TP, like once a year or so. Adding a Touch screen
> has
> zero appeal to me.
>
> I see more demand for vinyl than for quality digital music players. I
> don't get it, as I was happy to leave vinyl behind, but there are
> fanboys out there.
>
> --
> Pat Farrell
> http://www.pfarrell.com/

All - my original query for TP improvements can be just as well applied
to new gear in development or in the dreams of other companies.  [I'm a
biologist, not an audio prospector for any company -- I've now stock in
anything other than my own enjoyments.]

Someday I will upgrade.   I'm not delusional; I don't think my TP will
last as long as, say my father's Rotel system from the 70's.  So I'd
like to get a feel for what you think is missing.  What you would look
for in the next TP, or if necessary, the next Oppo, Linn, Apple, Sonos,
etc.  was my point.

It's been mentioned in other posts: Logitech isn't really known for
it's high-end audio gear and may DC the TP.  That'd be very unwelcome.
Squeezebox made a few ground breaking improvements in MY audio world.
The SB2 and SB3, the TP, and the most impressive bit of social
technology conceivable:  YOU and this forum.  This is the first place I
turn when I have an audio question and it's the only audio forum I sign
on to to try to help and offer my opinion.

So keep making TP Logitech.  I'm in the market for another.  If you
don't, then I hope(as I'm sure the rest of the audiophiles do) that we
can still meet here after someone reads our wants and takes over where
you left off -- if you leave off.

Oh, and Pat I got a lot of use out of my vinyl this weekend.  A bunch
of friends came over and we all went through the shelves of it
remembering the fun times we had playing with it in years past.  Every
now and again someone would find something we absolutely had to hear...
and we played it via the rip on the TP.

In the future I will spent more $ on a new TP2 or the like, yet I will
not upgrade my Rega phono system--  I actually look forward to selling
it off before I blip a needle, scratch a record, loose yet another dust
brush or have to buy more dam cleaning fluid.  I'm going to stick with
the natural progression + More's Law.  I'm putting my chips on FLAC and
ALAC, not vinyl.

(Think of it - space travel in zero-G.  How would the stylus work??
The future may show the limited few of us with vinyl as long bearded
Earth-Is-Flat types.)

Afraid to say but, my vinyl collection is an acoustical wave diffusion
and absorption shelf with nostalgic under-beat connotations.

--
kphinney

-I like it, you may not.  I understand and respect that.-