marcoc1712;494614 Wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Two think I could not understand in your explanation:
>
> 1 what's the matter of the clock of my USB card till we are measuring
> the Analog out? Means You could never measure a Turntable or any other
> surce with no digital out? Is not meant like this, looking at ADM
> documentation!
>
> 2. In wich way could noise, clock or other 'digital' fault in the USB
> Card could be involved in different way depending on format files were
> in origin, AFTER the DA conversion in SB? I suppose you mean my USB Card
> will measure this order of differences also if I mesure twice the same
> file playback. Is not that way!
>
> By the way, I do confirm your difference file has no audible diff in it
> (to me).
>
> Becouse I could not replicate your conditions, could you please try the
> configuration i was running tests (1 min, no digital link at all) and
> see what happen?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Marco

Marco,
ADM works by aligning the two files exactly in time (and level) -
sample by sample. If there is ANY variation in the sample timing between
two recordings it will not be 100% accurate. There are two clocks - one
in the SB and one in the soundcard. They have to be made the same. ADM
can compensate for level differences and it does its best to compensate
for clock drift but it is not perfect - especially when the clock drift
is changing over time... it can only do an average correction.

If you don't lock to spdif, the SB3 and soundcard will operate at
slightly different, changing (drifting) rates.

If you read the help file within ADM carefully this is all explained.

It also explains why you can't measure turntables accurately for the
same reason!

If you want to prove this, make two "identical" WAV (or flac)
recordings and compare them. They will be different.

If I repeat your test setup I get similar results to you - but they
aren't helpful or meaningful.

Try comparing one WAV recording to another using your method and see
what happens...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB Touch Beta (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W -
MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio