As Sean alluded to, earlier in this thread, it has been a problem with
some material, some levels of compression, and some firmware versions.
To me, it appears that the hardware is a bit marginal.

As my 24/96 files account for less than 2% of my total music
collection, the extra space required is trivial, so I've just decided to
live with the short coming.

On the other hand, given that the Touch is also supposed to handle
24/96, I'm hoping that more attention to this shortfall will be
made.....

--
DCtoDaylight

Audiophile wish list: Zero Distortion, Infinite Signal to Noise Ratio,
and a Bandwidth from DC to Daylight