I don´t understand Apodizing exactly. I guess it is applying a
resampling with a soft lowpass and no linear phase.
So it surely chnages the sound and can get rid o pre-ringing like even
a simple lowpass can. In the end it only "smears and muddens" the
original at a margin you can influence. I don´t think that is anything
new. Many audiophile DACs had lowpasses build in that startet as low as
17kHz and had a similar effect. Of cause they measured worse and no one
took them to serious.
Now marketing comes with some nice impulse graphs and sell the
muddening of the signal like the newest holy grail.

--
Wombat

Transporter -> RG142 -> Avantgarde based monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 ->
self-made speakers