I also tried the Asus O!Play, but didn't experience the same result you
had.  Thru my CI Audio DAC the SB3 had a grand soundstage and much
better resolution.  Could just be my own ears and room synergy, but the
ASUS sounded like an MP3 player vs a full fledge Digital Stream Audio
device.

That said, I love the video quality and ability to attach a low power
HD with no extra juice, or just plain the ability to directly attach any
USB or eSATA drive is a huge plus.

If I had to choose one for my living room I'd lean toward the O!Play,
but not for any quality listening room.  What I'd REALLY like to see is
the ability to put SqueezeServer on it so I could put it in my living
room, load up my music files, and stream to the SB3 & TP in other rooms.

--
kphinney

-I like it, you may not.  I understand and respect that.-