Tante Cor;496114 Wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> yes, i did, but that's not it. Logitech support claims it's not a
> documented function in the transporter. The problem is I blew up the
> midrange units of my speakers when I tried it, now they want me to show
> them this function.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tante Cor

You have my sympathy - that could be an expensive repair.

On most equipment that has "Factory Tests", actually using them at home
unless directly instructed by Support will invalidate your warranty. The
reasons why should now be obvious - they can make the equipment do
things that are potentially hazardous. Factory Tests are almost never
end-user documented for good reason. In an ideal world it should not be
possible to operate Factory Tests without a hardware dongle held at the
factory or service centre... but that would limit field support options
and also would inevitably get leaked all over the Internet anyway.

I do think that there should be a warning message displayed before
engaging any of these tests  - at the very least.

In this case, putting a nice full range sine wave through your speakers
will often kill them pretty quickly if the amp vol is high... You are
lucky (!) it was only the midrange units. Normally the tweeters go first
as the coils heat up and melt with the harmonic distortion from the amp
turning the sine wave into a square wave... You must have a good amp.

Did you have your TP connected to a pre-amp or directly to a power amp?
Did you have any attenuation between TP and Power amp?.
If you went through a pre-amp you should have been OK unless you had
the volume up very high.

If you are running into a poweramp with no attenuation, that is a
non-supported setup as a bug in the volume control software could cause
your entire speakers (and possibly amps) to blow at any time.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB Touch Beta (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W -
MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio