I don´t want to argue to much about sound, cause i did no intensive
testing to back anything up.

I once played intensively with a 24/96 file when my Transporter was
new. Back then i used Naoki Shibatas SSRC cause it was the only easy to
use free resampler. Today with a resampler like sox around it may be
even less obvious.

But one thing i can confirm what iphone says. The highs really seem to
loose some fine detail when going from a high sampling rate to 44.1kHz.
To me it sounded a tiny bit harder, loosing some micro information but
not really different. My magnetostatic tweeters are pretty revealing
there. On some recordings that may lead to a better sound/imaging. My
bass isn´t that good in my room so there i can´t comment much.

Where i never was able to hear any difference was on the HDCDs with
peak extension i decoded to 20bit and dithered back to 16. So no
resampling involved. Thats why i am that sceptic about the Beatles
remaster box in 24/44.1 flac sounds any better as the CDs.

--
Wombat

Transporter -> RG142 -> Avantgarde based monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 ->
self-made speakers