AlAz;498311 Wrote:
> You know, I'm pleased when I understand things. Oh, I cannot understand
> everything, but I really think I can understand many things on this
> peculiar subject. It's not pride, nor ego. Just satisfaction to say for
> myself "OK, that's clear".
>
> My present thoughts are that perhaps we're facing an alorithmic
> difference. One can think EAC and dbPowerAmp use a pretty close algo,
> and RipStation use a quite different one. It COULD explains that two
> solutions come up with the same MD5... I'll spend a little time tomorrow
> with some other rippers, like cdparanoia and RubyRipper, to see what
> happens...
>
> At this point, with this query in mind, a complementary thought arise,
> that concerns AccurateRip : I read on this forum later
> (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=487051&postcount=16)
> someone saying "AccurateRip doesn't necessarily improve quality, but it
> does improve confidence". It COULD be the point - I mean *if* I'm right
> !
>
> I have no Mac here, but I can play with an old G4 at work, I only have
> PC, thus I can only use EAC and dbPowerAmp : I wonder if those who
> claims AccurateRip "ensures truth", to say it quickly and with
> overstatement, do only rely on software with very similar algorithms.
> It's not a bad thing, it's even far from it, but if this is right, it
> only ensures that a rip worked the right way. Not that it is "THE" rip
> (I'm again not sure the concept of '"THE" rip' have a sense). What a
> pity that both EAC and dbPowerAmp are closed source, one could
> verify...
>
> Don't cry ! I'm not irredeemable. If I'm wrong I'll apologize. I like
> to spend a little time sneaking here and there. And, my mind made, I
> choose my way. I don't like to follow blindly other's ways ;). No
> offense, I take care of each and every advice.
>
> Anyway, thanks for being so patient with me. It seems that I will cause
> Phil Leigh to have nervous breakdown, sooner or later :)
>
> PS : did somebody try to burn a "file", rip it, and compare the rip
> with the original ? Eeerk, the burning process comes in the dance... So
> it would probably even more complicated to get things clear...

It's OK - I'm on medication...
:-)

There is no "algorithm" at play here. It's really just a mechanical
transfer of data from one medium to another. However, when things don't
go well the results can be different. Because of the mechanical
limitations of CD compared to (say) hard disk, reading is not always
100% predictable.
... or are you perhaps referring to the MD5 hashing algorithm? This is
a fixed piece of logic. MD5 is a standard - you can't have different
versions of it...

Ripstation is designed for a different use-case to the others. It is
designed primarily for unattended, automated ripping of multiple discs.
It does not feature the intensive sector multi-reread approach of the
others, because that would break/slow to a crawl the automated workflow
it is designed to support. So it will handle certain disc read errors
differently. This is why you can get a different checksum. Ripstation
will eventually write an error log and move on...

At the risk of repeating myself ("Nurse - more pills, more pills") the
chance of multiple rips using different discs, drives and rippers
arriving at the same incorrect checksum is virtually zero. This cannot
be argued from any logical or mathematical standpoint - honestly.

This is why AccurateRip is helpful. The only issue with AR is if you
get a different checksum on a well represented disc, you only know the
rip is not 100% accurate - you don't know what that really means in
terms of audible playback effects.

If you really want to explore this further, compare your rips in
AudioDiffMaker. IF there is a difference, this WILL find it...

You'll need a means of running Windows apps though...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB Touch Beta (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W -
MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio