Stratmangler;499634 Wrote:
> EMI did future proof the Beatles remastering project as far as was
> possible - see this article
> http://www.theinsider.com/news/2102658_Re_Mastering_the_BEATLES_Catalog_The_Process
>
> I agree that the sample rate seems to be the key to improved audio -
> most of the music DVD's that I have are AC3 on the stereo tracks, which
> transcodes to 16/48 files. The audio on these discs is better than CD
> with no exceptions - perhaps I've been lucky in this respect.
>
> That said, I've also noted the improvements brought by HDCD when the
> files have been ripped using dBPoweramp with the DSP plugins installed.
> The resultant files are 24/44.1 . The audio improvements are worth
> pursuing.
>
> Back to The Beatles - it is perfectly feasible for EMI to release the
> albums at 24/192, all that is required is the will (on EMI's part) to do
> it.
> I can't imagine that this will happen anytime soon, for reasons of
> copyright security if nothing else. The potential of hi-res release does
> still remain.
>
> Chris:)

Well after the death of SACD (which was never cracked) and DVD-A
(cracked but has watermarks) the word out there is that a new Blu-Ray
based Audiophile format may be born. The key is to get all those plebs
hi-rez multichannel equipment by putting on high-res multichannel movie
soundtracks and then launching the music format.

You can't sell hi-rez audio to these plebs, but you can push it through
movie soundtracks (which IMHO do NOT need hi-rez - I don't care if my
explosion was recorded in 192/24 or 16/48). These people are happy with
MP3. Now with Blu-Ray and people buying receivers capable of hi-rez D/A
conversion we have a shot again, but in truth most people don't care.
The biggest concern of course is content protection. Whatever they roll
out will be cracked and the more popular the format is the sooner it
will be cracked. The digital age has made content unprotectable. At the
end of the day these clowns need to understand that they need to offer a
product at a fair price. The days of private jet-setting and extravagant
expense accounts in the recorded music business are OVER. I think they
need to find greener pastures. They made hay while the sun shined with
LP, Cassette, 8-Track and CD. The recorded music business is not that
kind of a rip-off the customer business anymore.

--
sxr71