seanadams;41172 Wrote:
> Before getting into which DAC is better, the thing to find out is
> whether your receiver is putting all of its signals through a digital
> path internally (a quick googling didn't tell me specifically about your
> model, but there's much mention of ADCs so I suspect so). If that's the
> case, you're better off using a digital connection into the receiver to
> eliminate a D->A at the source and another A-D into the receiver.
>
> By the way, the A->D->A conversion that is common in modern receivers
> is not inherently a bad thing. For something with a lot of channels
> in/out, it's probably cleaner to get it straight into zeroes and ones
> rather than switching the analog signals and passing them all around
> inside the box from one PCB to another. I'm sure on some forum there's a
> lengthy and well-informed debate that could be cited here...

It's not a bad thing considering the purpose of an A/V receiver and
what it does but it's unacceptable for an audiophile setup. Which is why
consumer level A/V receivers are not audiophile components. I would run
a Duet into an A/V receiver for convenience but a separate Transporter
into a simple audio grade pre-amp for quality. The SB system lets you
switch them easily anyway.

--
sxr71