rgheck;501640 Wrote:
> Well, that would be the kind of information that was clearly relevant
> here. As I said, I do not know about the design.
>
> That said, How much memory is there in a Receiver? Enough to buffer the
> whole song? And store the FLAC itself? I rather suspect, though of
> course I could be wrong, that the FLAC is being streamed and conversion
> is being done on the fly. Still, as you say, it may well be that there's
> not enough (additional) activity plausibly to make a difference, though
> that's hard to say for sure. If the conversion process is consuming CPU
> cycles, maybe it could occasionally be consuming them at just the wrong
> moment, with the result that you get timing errors in the data being fed
> to the DACs (again, I'm assuming one processor is doing both jobs and
> being scheduled by the kernel). But these would probably be random and
> hence appear as mere noise, and not very much.
>
> FYI, my CDs are all ripped as FLAC; I'm not rushing off to do the
> WAV-FLAC comparison; and my system is about as tweak-free as it could
> be.
Well, as you say, the FLAC is streamed and conversion is on-the-fly.
There's a possibility that there's a slight peak "at the wrong moment",
but, I doubt (as you also agree) that this could possibly do something
more than any other CPU activity, or a slight noise if you prefer.
In other words, this should cause no more problem than -for instance-
paging through the library.

Out of topic, I'm amazed that nobody has come to say that browsing
degrades signal... :D

--
Themis

SB3 - North Star dac 192 - Cyrus 8xp - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus