Robin Bowes;508260 Wrote:
> On 19/01/10 21:16, matka wrote:
>
> > Why flac ? - very simple, the sound quality question is no longer
> > relevant and also all my music is in flac. I don't want to transcode.
>

> Really, flac for your stated use case is total overkill. You're just
> making your life harder for zero benefit. Transcoding is easy [1]. The
> smaller file sizes of even high bit-rate lossy format means that
> copying
> to the device takes less time, and you can store many more tracks
> (typically, 8-10x the number of flacs).
>
> R.
>
> [1] http://projects.robinbowes.com/flac2mp3

He said he didn't want to transcode.  End of story.  Transcoding itself
is easy, but it's a pain in the @ss just the same.  You need to have a
FLAC library, keep it separate from the MP3 library, then devise
creative ways to manage, compare, and update each library.

I travel with FLAC, I sync with FLAC, and I'm slowly getting grid of
the residual mp3s left from the early days.  Why would one want to step
backward?

As for storing more tracks, you are obviously wrong, if he doesn't wish
to delete his FLAC library: FLAC alone < FLAC + MP3.

--
kphinney

-I like it, you may not.  I understand and respect that.-